I have one of the best professions in the world – I help others change and improve their lives as a fitness personal trainer, teacher, lecturer and consultant here in Singapore. If you love fitness and want to pursue a job like this – you’d want to first get yourself certified by a reputable academic institution – one that provides you with the education that covers all aspect of fitness and wellness. These courses usually take 3 to 6 months to complete, and there are both theory and practical exams.
Being in the fitness industry here in Singapore since 1998, I’ve been approached by many younger ‘trainers’ asking me how to get more trainers – my answer to them is (1) Education and (2) Results from your current clients.
While having a Basic Exercise Course certificate is good – it is not enough. You’re on the right track, but please continue with the next certification. You’ll need to learn more in order to prescribe exercise to the different populations here. Breadth and depth – learn as many areas that’s related to fitness (general, biomechanics, motor skills, exercise phsysiology, exercise psychology, theories and practice of fitness coaching / instructions, etc) and learn deep enough. Learning how to do 100 types of crunches is not enough.
First, get yourself CPR and AED certified.
Here are some that you can *start* with, if you’re on a tight budget.
Singapore Sports Council
- Basic Exercise Course
- Fitness Instructor Course
- Aerobics Instructor Course
- Certified Personal Trainer Course
In addition to the certificate in fitness, I strongly recommend that you take up the NCAP courses – they teach you pedagogy and coaching skills that you can employ when you meet the different types of clients.
Diploma and Degrees
ITEs and polytechnics have sports and fitness related courses. Google it and find the one that you like to pursue.
I personally like the one that is offered by Nanyang Technological University, National Institute of Education. You’ll need to sign a bond of 3 or 4 years with the Ministry of Education as a Physical Education Teacher though. They not also teach you all things fitness, you’ll also learn pedagogy and sports (lots of them).
Nanyang Technological University
Initial Teacher Training Programme (with Bond)
- Diploma (Physical Education)(Primary)
- Bachelor of Science (Education)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Physical Education
Higher Degree By Coursework with Dissertation OR By Coursework only (part-time) (with
- Master of Science (Exercise & Sport Studies) (I’m undergoing this one right now – 70% done!!)
- Master of Science (by Research) (Full time / Part time)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Full time / Part time)
New courses by NTU (No Bond)
In order to be an expert, you’ll need to be a specialist – save some money and invest in these certifications overseas. My suggestion is to aim to take one certification every two or three years.
My top choices for US based fitness education providers.
ACSM – American College Of Sports Medicine
(Founded in 1954, ACSM’s members’ diversity and expertise makes it the largest, most respected sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world – their exams are also known to be very difficult)
- ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
- ACSM Health and Fitness Instructor (You’ll need a degree to sit for this)
- ACSM Exercise Specialist
- ACSM Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT)
- Performance Enhancement Specialist
- Group Fitness Instructor Certification
- Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant Certification
- Clinical Exercise Specialist Certification
- Specialty Certification – Peer Fitness Trainer Certification Program
Other US fitness education providers
- Certified Fitness Trainer (CFT)
There you have it. So many to choose from – the key is to choose your certifications correctly. Choose one that makes you an expert. There are other degrees offered here in Singapore via distance learning – such as those from ECU and Blackburn Uni – check them out and do some research before committing. Be careful though – there are some other ‘certifications’ online that’s US$49.90 – these certifications require you to do a mini survey and within minutes, you’ll get your certificate! What a joke.
True fitness professionals who serve their clients well spend years upgrading themselves cognitively. Stand on the shoulders of giants.
Join me 🙂
Yours in health and fitness,