While most of those who attend our fitness bootcamp want to lose weight (fat), there are those who want to gain weight. Here’s Corey Ritter (Personal Trainer from Atlanta, USA) explaining some basic but powerful principles that you can start employing in your daily lives in order to gain weight.
Copy and paste this into your notebook – these are the things you need to do to increase body weight.
- Increasing your lean protein intake – 1 to 2 servings of protein – 1gm of protein per pound of bodyweight
- Increase resistance in your weight training – 8 to 12 reps max
- Increase workout drink during and after your workout
- Have at least 8 hours of sleep a day – your body needs to rebuild, repair and regenerate.
In addition to Corey’s advice, you’ll also need to exercise correctly too.
Here’s my recommendations:
Basically, you’ll need to have a positive caloric intake -> the calories that you consume must be more than what you expend. As you’ll need to exercise to build the muscles at the right places, that means your enery expenditure will be higher – hence you’ll need to eat more in order to gain weight.
- Do compound type of exercises that hit your large muscle groups
– Push Ups (For beginners) (Chest, Triceps & some shoulder)
– Chest Press (Chest and Triceps)
– Shoulder Press (Shoulders and Triceps)
– Back Row (Back and Biceps)
– Squats (Butt, quadriceps, hamstrings, abs and back)
- Get a personal trainer or a workout buddy to ensure that your exercises are performed properly
- Have 5 moderate size meals a day (don’t overdo it – excess calories will just increase your fat level – you’ll want to put the weight at the right places), and ensure you have 2 servings of proteins (basic building blocks of protein) and vegetables (for essential vitamins and nutrients) at least thrice a day.
- Write a food journal – it’ll help you track your food intake and a great reflection tool.
Have fun! 🙂