Can I have some water please?
That’s what your body asks from you everyday.
Water is an essential nutrient because of it’s a vital role in the normal functioning of the body. Water contributes approximately 60% of the total body weight and is essential in creating the environment in which all metabolic occur. Water is necessary to regulate temperature and transport substances throughout the body.
Recommended daily amount for men is 3.7L for men and 2.7L for women.
Hydrate your body, before, during and after exercise.
Sweating is the body’s primary mechanism for heat dissipation during exercise. The amount of sweat lost during exercise depends on the environmental heat and humidity, type and intensity of exercise and the characteristics of the exerciser .
Dehydration reduces the body’s capacity for sweating and can impair performance by decreasing strength, endurance and coordination. It also increases the risk of heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. We don’t want that do we?
Here are some guidelines according to ACSM on water intake:-
- A person should consume 400-600ml of water 2hrs slowly before endurance exercise.
- Then additional 200-300ml, 10 – 20mins before beginning the exercise.
- During exercise a person should drink approximately 150-350ml of water every 15-20mins.
- In activities where large amount of sweat are lost, fluid should be fully replaced. Depends on before and after these types of activities recommended, the participant should drink approximately 475-700ml of water for each pound lost. If body weight has not returned to normal in the following days, additional water should be consumed before beginning the exercise.
Remember to sip your water and not to drink it in one gulp. Using straw is one of the effective ways to slow down the intake at a time. For some of us who are not use or don’t like to drink water because it is tasteless compare to sports or soft drinks, here are some tips to enjoy your pure no calories H2o:
- Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice n freeze it in your ice cubes box. You can add them to your water bottle for to go.
- You can do the same with your favorite fruits like strawberries, mango or water melon which blended to pureed then freeze it in ice cubes box.
So, nourish your body with H2o to prevent dehydration, increase metabolic and helps detoxification.
You have permission to publish this article in your web sites, ezines or electronic publication, as long as the piece is used in its entirety including the resource box, all hyperlinks (HTML clickable), references and copyright info.
Copyright TeamFitnessGuru.com™ 2009
Source:Fitness professional’s handbook/Edward T.Howley,B.Don Franks-5th ed.